Monday, July 25, 2016

Various Artists 2005 Our New Orleans - A Benefit Album





Genre: Blues
Rate: 273 kbps VBR / 44100 from lossless source!
Time: 01:03:01
Size: 113,54 MB

United States

A wonderful mix of NOLA soul, R & B, Jazz and almost everything New Orleans, the Nonesuch release Our New Orleans just goes to show you that down does not necessarily mean out. The artists here are telling us that they and their music are still around, thanks, a fact most of us suspected would come to pass even through our shock and our grief at the horrible losses.

The problem with many "benefit" albums that offer play lists of "various" numerous artists is that the bands usually cover a broad range of styles, and sometimes such divergent sounds crash headlong into each other. Worse, such efforts sometimes come off as trite, patronizing to their cause or even indifferent.

Happily, this is not the case with Our New Orleans. The material, whether Jazz, Cajun, Creole, Rhythm & Blues, Gospel, Second Line or whatever, all have one common current running through their collective wires - the spirit of New Orleans. And the love if it.

As others have pointed out, picking out a favorite from so many first-class tracks is next to impossible. Just because Irma Thomas happens to be one my favorite vocalists of all time, doesn't mean there aren't plenty of other first-rate performers here to make us jump around the room and celebrate. Celebrate what? I don't know - celebrate those who made it, I guess, and give those who didn't a real New Orleans tribute. From the familiar to the revelations (and there were a few revelations for me hiding in this album) all the participants give 1,000%. It wouldn't be fair to single out any unless I mention that every performance is as heartfelt as it is hearty.

One of the revelations for me (for I was not heretofore familiar with the singer or the song) was TOU' LES JOURS Ç'EST PAS LE MÌME, a burning Creole bouncer by Carol Fran.

And any album that proffers the song Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans is a winner in my book. Originally warbled by the great Billie Holiday to Louis Armstrong in the motion picture New Orleans (1947) I got chills when I noticed it was being performed here by the venerable Preservation Hall Jazz Band. Since the day Katrina hit, I have been singing snatches to myself in a kind of macabre search for the perfect New Orleans swan song. But of course, we always knew the survivors would bounce back...

Do you know what it means
To miss New Orleans
And miss it each night and day
Well I know I'm not wrong
The feeling's getting stronger
The longer I stay away
Miss those moss-covered vines
The tall sugar-pines
Where mockingbirds used to sing
And I'd like to see the lazy Mississippi
A hurrying about to spring
The moonlight on the Bayous*
Those Creole tunes that fill the air
You know I dream about magnolias in bloom
And soon I'm wishing that I were there
Do you know what it means
To miss those Red Beans
When that's where you left your heart
And there's one thing more
I miss the one I care for
More than I miss New Orleans

*Billie Holiday sings this line as:
"The Mardi Gras, the memories
Of Creole tunes that fill the air"

Our New Orleans is highly recommended! (James Morris)

Tracklist:

01 - Allen Toussaint - Yes We Can Can 04:15

02 - Dr. John - World I Never Made 04:02

03 - Irma Thomas - Back Water Blues 03:32

04 - Davell Crawford - Gather By The River 03:40

05 - Buckwheat Zydeco - Cryin' In The Streets 08:44

06 - Dr. Michael White - Canal Street Blues 03:40

07 - Wild Magnolias - Brother John Is Gone - Herc-Jolly-John 05:31

08 - Eddie Bo - When The Saints Go Marching In 02:19

09 - Dirty Dozen Brass Band - My Feet Can't Fail Me Now 04:38

10 - Carol Fran - Tou' Les Jours C'est Pas La Meme 04:00

11 - Beausoleil - L'ouragon 03:58

12 - Preservation Hall Jazz Band - Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans 02:42

13 - Charlie Miller - Prayer For New Orleans 02:15

14 - Wardell Quezergue Orchestra - What A Wonderful World (feat. Donald Harrison) 03:51

15 - Allen Toussaint - Tipitina And Me 02:52

16 - Randy Newman & The Louisiana Philharmonic - Louisiana 1927 03:02





Gamble for more Various Artists





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...